Unwind in morocco: An Intimate Look at a Moroccan Bath House


Unwind : An Intimate Look at a Moroccan Bath House

A Moroccan bath house, a Hammam, is an important part of the local culture.  Originally descended from the Roman bath and fashioned after Turkish baths, Moroccan Hammams were created because most homes lacked indoor plumbing.  Moroccan Hammams were also rooted in Islamic rituals.  Today, however, Hammams have become a place where locals go at least once a week to soak, exfoliate and catch up on the latest gossip with friends.

Walking into the Hammam, I hardly knew what to expect.  Opening the giant wooden door, the sights and fragrances that greeted me were incredible.   Fragrant candles, rose petals scattered throughout, warm burnished wood, fountains, stunning stained glass lanterns, sheer gold curtains – these were only part of the elaborate decorations that held me captive from the start.
 
With a robe in hand, I was directed to a changing room and then led to the sauna, passing more fresh flower bouquets and bubbling fountains on the way.  Opening the door to the sauna, I was enveloped by the fragrant steam, as the scent of orange blossoms and rose water filled the air.  After a long day of trekking in the hot Moroccan sun, my skin soaked up the lovely moisture, my muscles took a break from strenuous touring as a total sense of relaxation came over me.
 
My masseuse entered the sauna, handing me a scoop of henna-clay mixture, and signaled to me to cover myself in the goop and scrub.  Covered in the mud, I felt the billowing steam work its magic and awaited her return.  Eventually, she came in with an exfoliating glove, all ready to scrub me off, shedding dead skin and impurities.  More rinsing and lathering followed until my skin was rosy-red and baby-smooth.
Soothing music and the smell of almonds filled the air.  Then, for complete relaxation, a full body massage!  Regretfully thinking that I was finished, I rose to depart, only to be greeted by the dramatic finale as a bucket of cold water was poured over my head! 
“Ah” I thought, “More energy to continue my adventures in this great land.” 
No doubt, a Moroccan Hammam is the perfect place to unwind, relax, re-energize and come out squeaky clean!


morocco culture,moroccan food,morocco food,moroccan cuisine,morocco beaches,moroccan meal,beaches in morocco,moroccan culture,hercules cave,hercules cave morocco