Moroccan Culture Series


Moroccan Culture Series

Learning a foreign language is inextricably tied to learning about culture, because the countries that speak a given language all have some effect on that language (of course, some more than others). Most language students, and certainly anyone who speaks a second language fluently, are aware of this, because it is impossible to speak a language well without understanding the cultures that go hand-in-hand with it. Unfortunately for French students, there are so many francophone countries that learning about all of the related cultures is virtually impossible. Most teachers who want to foster an understanding of francophone cultures in their students are forced to focus on the "bigger" French-speaking countries like France and Canada.

I lived in Morocco from September 2000 to March 2003 and felt that I had a wonderful opportunity there to introduce French students to another member country of the francophone community. By living in this francophone country, I was able to share my first-hand experience with the culture. I wrote articles periodically on various aspects of Moroccan culture. In this way I hope to bring Moroccan culture alive for French students who might not otherwise have a chance to learn about it.

I did my best to bring the articles to life with pictures and personal anecdotes. All of the information in these articles was drawn from my personal, day-to-day experiences and in-country research in Casablanca. My goal is not to pass judgment on Moroccan culture; rather, it is to bring this rich culture to life for French speakers who might not otherwise know anything about it.


morocco culture,moroccan food,morocco food,moroccan cuisine,morocco beaches,moroccan meal,beaches in morocco,moroccan culture,hercules cave,hercules cave morocco