Morocco : A Country Of Contrast

Morocco : A Country Of Contrast

Morocco is a North African country overlooking Europe. As late King Hassan II once said, Morocco's roots are in Africa and its branches are in Europe.



The people of Morocco, from early ages until now, have been influenced the political, economic, cultural and artistic environment of a mixture of various ancient civilization, this reality has sometimes even gave birth to new forms of thinking and expression.

I wish somebody else will write about Morocco, but I will write myself about my charming, scenic, and picturesque country, one of the most stable, wonderful and beautiful countries in the world. I always call it The Magic Kingdom.

Morocco, for me, as well as for many other foreigners I have met, visitors of Morocco and readers of Morocco Today, is a real country of contrast.

I know this, and this is a reality. I lived, studied and worked in Morocco before I become a globe trotter journalist, I have seen so many countries in Europe and on the Atlantic Ocean far coasts, and I can say, my country, Morocco, is unique.

Morocco is a nation with all the features this term implies: historic legality, geographical unity, historical continuity and cultural traditions.

Official name of the country : The Kingdom of Morocco

Capital : Rabat
Surface: 710.850 square km

Population: Over 29 million inhabitants, of whom more than half are under 20 years old

Head of state: His Majesty King Mohammed VI

National days: November 18th, Independence Day

Language: Moroccan, French, Berber (Tamazight), Arabic, English and Spanish

Religion: Islam is the religion of the state. His Majesty the King is also the spiritual leader and bears the title of Amir Al Mouminine, i.e. Commander o the faithful.

Currency: the unit of currency is the dirham (DH) which is subdivided into 100 centimes.

Main towns: Casablanca, as economic capital, Rabat, the country and administrative capital, Sale Conurbation, Fez, spiritual capital, Agadir, tourism capital, Laayoune, Sahara capital, Marrakech, Meknes, Tangiers, Oujda, Taroudant,, Ouarzazate, Tan Tan and Smara.