I’m moroccan


Yesterday, a good friend of mine and one of my favorite moroccan bloggers asked me to be a guest writer on his Blog.

He asked me to express what being moroccan means to me and here’s what I had to say in his article:



I’m moroccan and for us, moroccans, (to not confuse with AMERICANS), it is very easy to be critical of our homeland, especially when there are so many sympathetic ears.

For as long as I could remember, moroccan people complained about everything:

School being not so cool,
Food being too expensive, sometimes too salty, others too sweet,
TV programs being too cheesy,
Politicians being too old, unable to give public speeches and thiefs,
The national football team being formed of “non-fully-blooded” moroccans who should be playing like captain Majid,
The moroccan youth being a franchise to the french, american, english, chinese, korean, egyptian and lebanese culture,
The girls being too open-minded or too conservative, -The boys being less and less manly,
The weather being too cold or too hot,
The doctors being serial-killers…
And just yesterday, this guy was literally complaining about the elevator being too slow… COME ON !

We complain -A LOT- but we hate to hear anyone saying one single bad thing about our country. It’s kind of genetic.

It’s almost like saying: “I can complain about my country and say whatever I want but if you do ME.BREAK.YOUR.TEETH my friend !”

Yes, I’m moroccan and I love my country, and I know you do too, regardless of the things that you’re not happy with and regardless of what you say !

Some of you may think I’m exagerating but I’m really not.

Because everytime I see or live something I don’t necessarily like. I complain about it then I stop for a second and think about all the good things that have happened to me in the past, things that I have lived in this country.

I’m moroccan, I love my country and you should to and just because OUR country happens too need OUR help at the moment doesn’t mean it’s time to give up on it !

(Read more after the jump…)


I’m moroccan, I love the people of my country and you should too. So it doesn’t matter if you’re an amazigh or an arab. A sahraoui, 3roubi or Fassi. From tangiers to Lagouira, if you’re black or white, muslim, christian or jewish, straight or gay, short or tall, thin or fat… You’re still moroccan and this mother country is for US ALL !

This country has given us a place to live and become who we are today. And yes, this coutry has a LOOOOOOONG WAY to go in every imaginable domain but everything is possible if WE.ALL.LOVE.MOROCCO and become what WE aspire to be then say: “I’m moroccan before anything, I’m moroccan and I’m proud to say it”.

I love my country, and nobody will change that, I love it to the core. I’m a moroccan girl who complains about the things she doesn’t like, who thinks human rights aren’t respected, who believes that education and health care should come before anything. And a girl who wants to see John Mayer, Bernhoft, Ed Sheeran, Jamie Woon and M83 in Mawazine this year… The moroccan schizophrenia is the best, I know !

I’m moroccan but before anything else, I’m moroccan and I’m proud to say it.